7 questions to ask if you’re considering live-in care for a relative

Questions to ask if you're considering live-in care for a relative

If your relative doesn’t need to move into residential care but is still in need of some help and support, you can either search for home care through care agencies or employ a care worker directly.

Finding care through care agencies

Your local council should be able to offer a list of care agencies in the area and advise you on suitable care regarding your relative’s budget.

You can also search for registered care agencies using the websites below:

Organising care through an agency can be more expensive than employing a care worker directly, but there are various benefits to it.

For example, the care agency will handle all the employment responsibilities for you and will provide a replacement care worker if required. Just remember to make sure you read any contracts over before signing, including any additional fees, for example, an ‘Introductory Fee’. If anything seems unclear, it’s worth seeking advice from organisations such as Citizen’s Advice or the Disability Law Service.

An example of a reputable care agency is Guardian Carers. Guardian Carers is an introductory service that places carers, companions, and housekeepers across the UK and beyond. They provide a range of premium care services, from live-in, live-out, and full-time or part-time basis.

After an initial consultation to discuss the care needed, your personal consultant from Guardian Carers will search for and interview carers based on your relative’s needs before sending over a tailored list of candidate profiles to choose from. You can learn more about the process here, or book an initial consultation to discuss your relative’s needs and help find them the perfect carer.

Employing a care worker directly

If you want to employ a care worker directly rather than using a care agency, it’s important to be aware that your relative will be taking on the responsibilities of an employer.

Employer responsibility examples include finding out whether the employee has the right to work in the UK, checking they’re DBS checked, and ensuring there are no potential health and safety risks.

If your relative is unable to be involved in the employment process, and someone is receiving direct payments from the council on their behalf, then the employer responsibilities will fall to them instead. You can read more about the responsibilities of employing a care worker here on NiDirect Government Services.

There are some websites that provide useful information on employing care workers. For example, ACAS offers advice and guidance to employers and employees, including information on employing care workers. Being the Boss is also a peer support website where people with disabilities share knowledge, support and advice on employing personal assistants.

Author: wpadmin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.