Claiming your state pension on your ex-partner’s National Insurance

You can’t claim a State Pension based on your former spouse or civil partner’s National Insurance contributions if you remarried before you reached State Pension age. However:

You can still claim a State Pension on your ex’s National Insurance record if you remarried after you reached State Pension age (provided you reached State Pension age before 6 April 2016.


You can still claim a State Pension on your ex’s National Insurance record if he or she remarried before they reached State Pension age (on or before 6 April 2016). 

Anyone yet to reach their State Pension age, or who reached it after the new State Pension system was introduced on 6 April 2016, can’t share their new State Pension if their marriage or civil partnership ends.

Find out more about the State Pension in our guide How the State Pension works and about pensions and divorce in our guide How are pensions shared in a divorce?

If you think you’re not receiving the amount of State Pension you could be entitled to, read our article Is my State Pension being underpaid? This explains who might be entitled to a higher State Pension, and how to make a claim and increase your payments if you believe you’re among those affected.

While the State Pension is an important part of retirement planning, you may have other workplace or personal pensions that can also provide you with an income in retirement.

If you want to get some tips and guidance for free, and you’re aged at least 50, you can arrange a phone appointment via the government’s free service called Pension Wise. If you want personal recommendations or advice about your specific circumstances, you can find a local financial advisor on VouchedFor or Unbiased, or for more information, check out our guides on How to find the right financial advisor for you or How to get advice on your pension.

Author: wpadmin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.