What is Japanese Knotweed and will it affect your mortgage?

If you find Japanese knotweed in your garden or growing nearby, then the most important rule is not to try and get rid of it yourself.

There are companies that specialise in treating cases of Japanese knotweed. Before contacting one, check to see if it is a member of the Invasive Weed Control Group of the Property Care Association or the Invasive Non Native Species Assocation (INNSA). The INNSA offers a directory of members including relevant contact details.

The company you choose will typically inspect the problem and work with you to figure out a plan to remove the knotweed, though this is rarely a quick or straightforward process. The most common solution is the routine use of industrial-strength herbicides on the knotweed, which normally takes around three years to complete. The cost of contracting a specialist company will depend on the company and the severity of your knotweed problem, so you should make sure to compare quotes from a few different contractors.

If you have cut down any of the knotweed, this must be disposed of on-site. This means you need to compost it separately on plastic sheets. You should not take Japanese knotweed or even the soil in which it grows to the dump or attempt to get rid of it in the wild, as this is likely to spread it.

You don’t legally have to remove knotweed from your own property, but you can be prosecuted if it spreads into the wild or even sued if it spreads into a neighbouring garden.

Author: wpadmin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.